Medical Science has been the most rapidly evolving discipline of which the department of Gen. Medicine is the foundation stone in the field of Medical Science. This department encompasses vast array of responsibilities of creating health awareness in the community & teaching the Medical Students (both undergraduates & post-graduates).
The core clinical skills of history taking of patients presenting with various signs & symptoms due to distorted anatomic contour of organ systems & abnormal physiological functions consequent upon pathological changes of various etiologies.
Here in our prestigious institution, the department of Gen. Medicine is functioning efficiently since inception.Since then medical services are being rendered to the patients round the clock, taking care of both in-patients & out patients of the hospital.
Here the undergraduate students are taught to develop the clinical skill of history taking & Physical examination of the patients and the technique of integrating the findings obtained from history taking & physical examination with the relevant investigational parameters to reach the final diagnosis and thus the time honored skills of healing & patients care is generated in them. They attend the regular bedside clinics for a certain period followed by frequent assessment thereof. At times, they are exposed to problem-oriented teaching sessions Inculcating in them the sense of using their knowledge to reach the final diagnosis & treatment. The training of PG students involves learning experience directed to the need of the community. Thus they are necessarily exposed to community based activities for successful training. The detailed statements pertaining to the training program is presented below to the notice of the students for its successful completion.
1) Understanding of importance of general Medicine in context of the health needs in the community and the national priorities in health sector.
2) Knowledge of primary health care.
3) Understanding of applied aspect of basic science relevant to training in allied subject to General Medicine.
4) Planning of therapeutic, rehabilitative, preventive, and primitive strategies on the basis of social, economic, biological, and emotional factors of health in a given case and training to plan relevant measures of prevention and rehabilitation of patients. Notwithstanding that, skilled documentation of patient’s case- history and details for diagnosis & treatment plus morbidity / mortality data recording relevant to assigned cases are also mandatory
5) Learning to demonstrate empathy and humane approach to the patients and their relatives.
6) To take part in National health programme dedicately and effectively.
7) To develop competence in basic concepts of research methodology and epidemiology with ability to analyze relevant published research literatures.
8) To develop skills in using educational methods and techniques for the purpose of teaching of medical/nursing students, general physicians and paramedical health workers.
In the beginning of academic term , the students are appraised of the contents of aforesaid statements and details of major components of the postgraduate curriculum are chalked out which are as follows:
1) Theoretical knowledge:- Materials for obtaining such knowledge are as follows:-
b) Attending journal-clubs
c) Group Discussions
d) clinical meeting
e) Attending Seminars
2) Practical and clinical skills for the management and treatment of patients by participating in seminars, journal- clubs, Group discussions, clinical meetings Grand rounds, and clinical-pathological conferences.
3) Thesis skills:- Every candidate shall carry out work on assigned research project under the guidance of a recognized Postgraduate Teacher and then the result of the project work will be written in the form of a “Thesis” which will be submitted atleast six months before appearing in the final examination at the end of 6th Academic term.
4) Besides, the students are also taught to learn Attitudes including communication skills and research methodology. The aforesaid training programmes are continued throughout the academic years of three years’ duration.
In our department research works are going on regular basis. Presently, the following research topics are in pipeline:
a) Evaluation of cardiac functions in Iron-deficiency Anemia before & after total Iron- therapy.
b) Study of uric acid in Acute Myocardial infarction.
c) Study of BNP/Pro-BNP in Congestive heart failure.
d) Study on parasitic diseases as an etiological factor for pyrexia of unknown origin in rural population.
Besides, one of the research papers “Effects of active smoking on Heart rate variability, heart rate and various other cardiac risk events in chronic smoker” was also published last year in the International Journal of Physiology .
Here the doctors are providing health check-up to the community members in & around the campus of this institution through Frequent Medical Camps.
Through these Medical Camps, We try to spread awareness about Diabetes Mellitus. Hypertension , Lipid disorders and Heart diseases.
The services rendered in the medical camps are also available free of cost and few medicines are also distributed among them free of cost.
The department is running upgraded clinics on the following weekdays also which are as follows:
1. Tuesday-Evaluation of Rheumatologic patients.
2. Thursday -Evaluation of Diabetic and Neurologic patients.
3. Saturday - (A) Evaluation of Cardiac and Hypertensive patients. (B) Evaluation of Respiratory patients.
Facilities available for investigation & treatment of the patients are as follows:
The following are academic achievements in the department:
(1) Availability of research facilities.
(2)Publication of research paper in prestigious journal.
(3)Award of gold medals to two undergraduate students of this institution for Excellent performance in the university Examinations.
1. Arvind Kumar (2008) Batch
2. Kamaldeep Sadh (2009) Batch.
And few other students are likely to be awarded this year also. It has been observed that this Institution is evolving as a Successful & Vital Health care center in this locality.
To sum up, the faculty members (the team of doctors of Medicine Department) are perspicacious enough to manage the critically-ill patients efficiently and to offer quality teaching to both UG & PG degree students and thus we hope that the escalated clinical as well as academic acumen of our faculty members will certainly establish an indelible impression in the field of medical science in the long run.
Details of faculty- members and PG students are attached herewith.
Copyright © 2015 sims.edu.in | All Right Reserved